Featuring a flavorful combination of free-range eggs, fresh herbs, smoked ham and a blend of cheeses, Strawberry Creek Inn's Herb-Baked Eggs isn't just a specialty of the house, it is the epitome of good eating.
Prepared dish-by-dish, the following recipe can be tailored to fit an array of special dietary needs or restrictions, and is sure to wow the palates of family and guests morning, noon or night. Enjoy!
Strawberry Creek Inn's Herb-Baked Eggs
A "Best of" Inn Cuisine, recipe courtesy Strawberry Creek Inn B&B
To make 4 individual servings of Herb-Baked Eggs you will need:
- 4 slices smoked ham (each about 1/4-inch thick)
- 6 large eggs (preferrably free-range)
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard (preferrably Dijon or spicy brown)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 & 1/2 cups shredded cheese (a combination of Sharp Cheddar mixed with Asiago, Parmesan, or other similar cheese), divided
- 4 teaspoons fresh herbs (any combination of fresh basil, thyme, chives or parsley), divided and chopped fine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 standard size au gratin dishes (as pictured above)
Spray au gratin dishes with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line each dish with a ham slice. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of fresh herbs atop each ham slice. Evenly layer a generous sprinkling of cheeses atop fresh herbs and ham. In a bowl, beat eggs with mustard, yogurt and nutmeg; gently pour (or spoon) egg mixture over the top of ham, herbs and cheese already in each dish, dividing mixture evenly amongst each serving. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes, until eggs* are completely set in center. *If you notice edges of eggs beginning to brown before center is thoroughly set, cover lightly with strips of aluminum foil to prevent over-browning, just like you would the edges of a pie crust.
Recipe Substitutions: Feel free to substitute turkey ham, sliced turkey, vegetarian sausage patties, or a thin layer of sauteed mushrooms for the ham in this dish if needed or required.
Yield: 4 individual servings. Recipe can be double or halved as needed.